Top 10 Healthy Travel Snacks For Runners
As we gear up for race season, many runners will be catching a flight or driving the distance to their destination city for the big race day. But before you jet set and get ready to go, make sure your carry-on contains one of the essentials: travel snacks.
Packing snacks is the best prevention because temptation is everywhere when you’re traveling. It’s easy to make a high calorie choice at the airport while you’re waiting on your flight or boredom may set in on the long car ride so you pull through the drive thru.
Snacking is meant to bridge the gap from one meal to the next and helps you control portions because they prevent ravenous hunger. Plan ahead by looking at your travel schedule to know how many snacks you need to pack. Can you bring a cooler or do you need to stock up on shelf stable snacks? To help you plan ahead, I’ve put together a list of my top 10 favorite travel snacks for runners.
- Trail Mix. Toss together pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, dried tart cherries, whole grain cereal and dark chocolate chips. Pre-portion into individual snack bags for convenience and to prevent mindless munching.
- Apples & Nut Butter. I always make sure to store single serving containers of peanut butter to-go or almond butter squeeze packets in my carry-on. Pair it with an apple for a super satisfying and nutritious snack!
- Dry Roasted Edamame. Protein packed, tasty and filling! Pair it with some tart cherries for a sweet and salty bite.
- Fruit & Nut Bars. Stock up on your favorite bar of choice. Check the ingredient labels to make sure your bar is mostly fruit and nuts and not too high in added sugars.
- Popcorn. Fiber-filled and fun for munching. Go light on the butter and you’ve got yourself a healthy, whole grain, low-calorie snack.
- Oat Bran Muffin. Bake a batch of healthy muffins before you leave for your trip for a homemade snack on the go.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich. Convenient and easy for busy runners.
- Whole Grain Crackers & Cheese. Nothing is better than the simplicity of cheese and crackers.
- Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds. Yes, I have a chocolate problem :)
- Hummus & Pretzels To-Go. You can find these conveniently packed and they will help spice up your snack time.
Safe travels and visit the The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler Weekend. Have any questions or comments? Tweet me @DietDivaTara.
Known as the "Diet Diva," Tara Gidus is a nationally acclaimed nutrition expert and the official nutritionist of runDisney.