Swiss Breakfast Cereal
Have you been looking for a super tasty way to recover from your morning runs? I caught up with Chef Gary Jones who did a quick recipe demo of a muesli chock full of good recovery nutrition as well as delicious taste.
This museli can be modified to your taste by switching up what kind of fruit you use, whether you use milk or yogurt (or greek yogurt), and even subbing in quinoa instead of oats. You can also make it ahead of time so it’s ready right when you’re toweling off.
Check out the video and try the amazing museli this weekend!
Swiss Breakfast Cereal with Fruit and Nuts (Birchermüesli)
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Yield: 10 Servings
- 4 cups raw oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 pint skim milk
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples (peel on)
- 1 medium pear (peel on)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ large lemon, juiced
- ½ cup brown sugar
Method of Preparation
- Soak oatmeal in milk and yogurt in 2-quart bowl for 15 minutes, or until oatmeal is soft.
- Shred apples and pear with hand grater. Add to oatmeal mixture.
- Add dried cranberries, walnuts, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Serve immediately. Store leftover cereal in airtight container in refrigerator for up to two days. (After two days, oxidation of the fruits may make the product darker in color and less visually appealing.)
- Each item can be modified to suit your individual taste. Any fresh fruit may be used in place of apples and pears. Other dried fruit and nuts also may be substituted, depending on your preference.
- Buttermilk, whole milk, soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, goat milk, lactaid, rice milk, or any other type of milk may be substituted for skim milk.
Comments or questions? Tweet me @DietDivaTara.
Known as the "Diet Diva," Tara Gidus is a nationally acclaimed nutrition expert and the official nutritionist of runDisney.