Bacon, Tomato, and Kale Quesadillas
Love quesadillas but want to make them a tad healthier? Whole grain tortillas are a delicious and easy source of complex carbohydrates—essential muscle fuel for runners. Kale supplies vitamins A, C, and K and avocado is filled with heart healthy monounsaturated fats that are important ingredients in a runner’s diet. The protein in the cheese is also essential for rebuilding sore muscles.
- 4- 10 inch whole grain flour tortillas
- 1 Hass avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Spread avocado evenly on each tortilla.
- Top each tortilla with with cheese, bacon, kale and tomatoes; fold in half.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Place two quesadillas on heated non-stick grill pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining quesadillas and cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
Questions or comments? Tweet me @DietDivaTara
Known as the "Diet Diva," Tara Gidus is a nationally acclaimed nutrition expert and the official nutritionist of runDisney.